TYPES OF BIOCIDE PRODUCTS
The biocide product range is sorted into four main product groups (application categories), as follows. These include disinfectants used in various areas, chemicals used for the preservation of products and materials, non-agricultural pesticides, and anti-fouling products used on ship hulls. The following are various types of products that use biocide chemicals.
MAIN GROUP 1: GENERAL DISINFECTANTS AND BIOCIDES
- Human hygiene biocidal products used for human hygiene purposes.
- Private and public health area disinfectants. This used to disinfect air, surfaces, materials, equipment, and furniture that are not used for direct food or feed contact in private, public or industrial areas, including hospitals, and products used as algaecides. Areas of use include swimming pools, aquariums, baths and other waters, air conditioning units, walls and floors in health and other institutions, chemical toilets, wastewater, hospital waste, soil, and other substrates.
- Animal hygienic biocidal products, which include products used in areas where animals are housed, maintained or transported.
- Food and feed areas disinfectants used for disinfection of equipment, containers, consumption equipment, surfaces or pipes associated with the production, transportation, storage or consumption of food, feed or beverages (including drinking water) for humans and animals.Drinking water disinfectants for humans and animals.
MAIN GROUP 2: PRESERVATIVES
- Preservative in cans used for the preservation of manufactured products, other than food ingredients, in containers with microbial damage control to ensure their shelf life.
- Film preservative used for preserving films or coatings by controlling microbial damage to protect the surface properties of materials or objects, such as paints, plastics, sealants, wall adhesives, binders, paper, artwork, etc.
- Wood preservatives for wood from and including sawmills and wood products (including preventive and curative products).
- Preservatives for fibers, leather, rubber and polymerized materials, which include the preservation of fibrous materials, such as paper or textile products.
- Masonry preservative is used for the preservation and repair of brick or other construction materials other than wood by controlling the microbiological attack of algae.
- Preservatives for cooling fluids and processing systems used for preservation of water and other fluids used in cooling and processing systems by controlling harmful organisms, such as microbes and algae (not preservative products for drinking water).
- Slimicides are used for the prevention or control of mucus growth on materials, equipment and structures, used in industrial processes, for example in wood pulp and paper, and in porous sand coatings in oil extraction.Metal working fluid preservatives include products used for the preservation of metal working fluids by controlling microbial damage
MAIN GROUP 3: PEST CONTROL.
- Rodenticides: control of rats or other rodents.
- Avicides: bird control.
- Molluscicide: control molluscs, for example snails that can clog pipes.
- Piscicides: fish control, excluding products for the treatment of fish diseases.
- Insecticides, acaricides, and to control other arthropods, for example insects, arachnids, and crustaceans.
- Repellents or attractants used to control harmful organisms (invertebrates, such as fleas, and vertebrates, such as birds) by repelling or attracting, including those used for direct or indirect human or animal hygiene.
MAIN GROUP 4: OTHER BIOCIDAL PRODUCTS
- Preservatives for food and feed ingredients used for food preservation or feed ingredients by controlling harmful organisms.
- Antifouling products used to control the growth and settlement of spoilage organisms (microbes and higher forms of plants and animals) on boats, aquaculture equipment, or other structures used in water.
- The embalming fluid or taxidermist used for disinfection and preservation of human or animal corpses, or their parts.
- Vertebrate control is used to control pests.
These are the different types of biocide chemicals.